[Scribus] Ligatures and "Expert Fonts" again

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Sep 22 09:54:38 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 01:00 +0200, Andreas Vox wrote:
> John Jordan wrote:
>
> > The absolute best way to do this, given the state of today's
> > computers and software, is the way Adobe implemented it in
> > InDesign.
>
> > Adobe solved both these problems by holding the text internally
> > without ligatures. Thus, the spell checker was not confused and
> > other applications received text they could handle. For screen
> > display and printing the alternate ligatures are used.
>
> I don't know InDesign but I guess that's similar to what we plan to
> implement.
>
> > Of course, this
> > works only with OpenType fonts that are properly coded and which
> > contain the ligature alternates. It does not work with the older fonts
> > where the ligatures are in a separate "expert set."
>
> We'll see about that :-)
>
> > The system works extremely well. In the currrent version of
> > InDesign there are several ligature options. You can turn on the f-
> > ligatures, you can turn on "discretionary" ligatures (ct, st, etc.),
> > and/or you can turn on swash alternates.
>
> Charwise, paragraphwise or

For Scribus, maybe Stylewise?

If that control is part of char styles, then you can have it work on an
ad-hoc basis via anonymous char styles, on a par basis (by applying a
char style for the par) and to an extent on a document basis using a
default "base" char style if some sort of inheritance is supported.

For all I know this is the plan aready, but it's worth mentioning
anyway.

--
Craig Ringer