[Scribus] Scribus 1.3.1.cvs - failure of make

Craig Bradney cbradney
Thu Sep 22 20:36:37 CEST 2005

On Thursday 22 September 2005 20:16, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> > Dont use the snapshot. Use CVS.. make dist is broken by that UI directory
> > and the tarballs do not include the correct files.
>
> Why is it provided as the version for testing before the release of
> 1.3.1 then? Will the tarball be updated with the correct files?

Its not, its updated on a regular basis, ie, whenever major updates are done,
or whenever Peter feels like it, which probably amounts to 1-3 times a week
at a guess.

> > I still fail to understand why
> > a Linux user would use anything but CVS given the reduction in file
> > download time, and the exacting instructions on docs.scribus.net.
>
> Well, in my case, I have currently to use Windows for Internet since I
> had to remove the ISDN card from my PC after a hardware update and use
> the device of the phone company instead - with no Linux drivers in
> sight. I have tried a half dozen cvs clients for Win and all of them
> seem to convert Unix line feeds to DOS or do other odd things. I haven't
> been able to build *any* cvs checkout done under Win. So I have to use
> the tarballs instead.

Thats understandable, but thats kind of a special situation. The tarballs are
of course for those who have trouble to get the CVS working, but under a pure
linux situation I cant see there being any major drama. I would think however
that there must be a fairly simple operation to get the files from CVS as you
describe. dos2unix or other apps dont help?

Craig