[Scribus] Using scribus at multiple sites to edit one document

Calum Polwart scribus
Mon Apr 10 20:44:54 CEST 2006

Not sure how to describe what I may want to be able to do - but I'll try
- then you can all laugh and I can forget about it for a few years...

Two of us 'edit' a newsletter.  Strictly speaking my colleague edits,
and I do the DTP.  Then being an editor he gets the lay-ed out version
and changes things... ...at the moment that's done by email, so he sends
me an email saying - please change paragraph 4 on page 6 to... and I
manually tweak...

What I'd like to do is let him edit the sla file directly, now that
there is a suitable windows version...  In itself that's easy enough -
there's a function to 'bundle it all up' and send it to him (can't
remember proper name).  The files are huge (60-90Mb?) so it would be on
CD.  He could edit it, re-write to CD and send back to me to do final
DTP bits and send to printers... all a bit 'old fashioned'.  He lives
300 miles away.

So what's the modern electronic way?  Can I put the files on a server
and somehow give him access.  I tend to find even with the images on a
Samba Server I get 'missing image' messages a lot, with big red X's -
obviously something with the Samba Path goes astray.  Would scribus cope
with a file remotely hosted? How would I host it? Would it involve
downloading the whole 60-90Mb each and every time a file is opened?

For Word Users - i think Office 2003 has this type of shared document
feature - although I have no idea how its actually used...

Calum