[Scribus] Restricted documentation license (was: a different kind of Scribus reference)

Brian Burger blurdesign
Fri Apr 21 10:39:55 CEST 2006

On 4/21/06, Helmut Wollmersdorfer <helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at> wrote:

> Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
>
> > The licence allows free distribution, including translation, but has
> some
> > restrictions regarding reformed German spelling, notifications to the
> author
> > (i. e. me) if any major changes are applied, and another restriction
> with
> > respect to commercial printing.
>
> Be aware, that such restricted licenses are the reason, why scribus-doc
> is deleted from the package in the official Debian distribution.
>
> See:
>
> $ apt-cache show scribus-doc
> Package: scribus-doc
> Section: non-free/doc
>           ^^^^^^^^
>
> This means, that scribus-doc is not installable without changing the
> default repositories, and also is not delivered on official Debian-CDs.

Interesting - there is no "scribus-doc" package at all in Ubuntu 5.10, and
when I start Scribus 1.2.2.1 and go Help->Scribus Manual, all I get is a
blank help window with "Sorry, no manual available! Please see:
http://docs.scribus.net for updated docs and www.scribus.net for
downloads." in it.

Is this because of the license, or something else? (I'm running Ubuntu w/
Gnome, not Kubuntu w/ KDE, for example...)

Brian.