[Scribus] Restricted documentation license (was: a different kind of Scribus reference)

PLinnell mrdocs
Fri Apr 21 11:23:29 CEST 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 10:39, Brian Burger wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Helmut Wollmersdorfer <helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at>
wrote:
> > Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > > The licence allows free distribution, including translation,
> > > but has
> >
> > some
> >
> > > restrictions regarding reformed German spelling, notifications
> > > to the
> >
> > author
> >
> > > (i. e. me) if any major changes are applied, and another
> > > restriction
> >
> > with
> >
> > > respect to commercial printing.
> >
> > Be aware, that such restricted licenses are the reason, why
> > scribus-doc is deleted from the package in the official Debian
> > distribution.
> >
> > See:
> >
> > $ apt-cache show scribus-doc
> > Package: scribus-doc
> > Section: non-free/doc
> >           ^^^^^^^^
> >
> > This means, that scribus-doc is not installable without changing
> > the default repositories, and also is not delivered on official
> > Debian-CDs.
>
> Interesting - there is no "scribus-doc" package at all in Ubuntu
> 5.10, and when I start Scribus 1.2.2.1 and go Help->Scribus Manual,
> all I get is a blank help window with "Sorry, no manual available!
> Please see: http://docs.scribus.net for updated docs and
> www.scribus.net for downloads." in it.
>
> Is this because of the license, or something else? (I'm running
> Ubuntu w/ Gnome, not Kubuntu w/ KDE, for example...)
>
> Brian.

Hi,

I do not know, you would need to ask the Ubuntu folks, but one of the
first things we do for almost any visitor to IRC using Ubuntu to add
our repo, so that users can replace 1.2.2.1 with 1.2.4.1, which is
more feature complete and more stable than even 1.2.2.1.

Also, for Ubuntu users, I have added an FAQ section here:
http://www.scribus.net/admin.php?module=FAQ&op=FaqCatGo&id_cat=13

Cheers,

Peter