[Scribus] Hyphenation

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Tue Feb 14 00:15:39 CET 2006

Rich Shepard a ?crit :

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Louis Desjardins wrote:
>

>>Well, this doesn't work with me either. Running 1.3.2. cvs Jan23-06 and
>>Ctrl+Shift+- simply doesn't work.
>

> Louis,
>
>    Oh, darn! Some lines have large spaces that could be filled if I was
> allowed to hyphenate the first word on the following line. Is there any way
> to do this with 1.2.4.1? I've tried in the SE, too, with the same lack of
> results.
>
>    How about highlighting the space and surrounding characters, then putting
> in negative tracking? A horrible kludge, perhaps, but the big spaces are not
> attractive, either.

Hi Rich,

You're absolutely right. The ways to manage this are :
1. Relationship between point size of the font *and* the width of the
column.
2. Number of hyphens allowed in a row (see Hyphenation settings for this)
3. Length of the smallest word : you'd have to give it a try. The
narrower the collumn, the smaller the word.
4. You can try tracking a bit, yes.

Hyphenation needs polishing and it can sometimes be difficult to achieve
a very nice result with the actual settings capabilities. We are missing
a feature that would allow users to determine the maximum number of
letters before and after the hyphen. We are also missing (or I may be
missing something myself!) a "don't hyphenate" sign to handle a specific
situation. And Hyphenation as a part of the Style would be a most
welcome addition. Plus, a way to handle Hyphenation exceptions... Lots
of work ahead! :-)

AFAIK, 1.2.x is not better than 1.3.x on that one. Plus, 1.3.x is
overwhelmly faster than 1.2.x at handling text from the little
experience I had this week-end.

HTH

Louis

--