[Scribus] OT: how would you do mathematics in scribus?

David Purton dcpurton
Thu Feb 16 07:32:22 CET 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 04:51:34PM +1100, Owen Cook wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, David Purton wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I marked this off topic, since it's not really related to scribus
> > specifically - rather dtp generally.
> >
> > How would you do mathematically intensive books in a page layout program
> > such as Scribus?
> >
> > eg. - lots of inline mathematics
> >       lots of display mathematics
> >       lots of technical diagrams
> >       lots of numbered items with multiple levels of numbering - layed
> >           out both horizontally and vertically. Horizontal layout of
> >           numbering might be 2, 3, 4, etc parts across page.
> >
> > Must be easy to both set quickly and edit both diagrams and text.
> > Mathematics must be beautiful - think LaTeX, NOT MS equation editor...
>

> Well why not do it in LATEX and import it into scribus.

Via PostScript?

This will not be easily editable though. This is a bit like what we do
now - expect we manage to get the LaTeX into our DTP app - but we can
get words in as text - albeit as individual words - not paragraph :(.
But some cunning macros can convert to a paragraph if we need to edit
things.

> You might have to be a bit careful with the fonts if there is a mixture of
> maths and text
>
> If you use KDE, kile might help

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a