[Scribus] OT: how would you do mathematics in scribus?

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu Feb 16 21:14:24 CET 2006

David Purton wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 04:51:34PM +1100, Owen Cook wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, David Purton wrote:
>>

>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I marked this off topic, since it's not really related to scribus
>>> specifically - rather dtp generally.
>>>
>>> How would you do mathematically intensive books in a page layout program
>>> such as Scribus?
>>>
>>> eg. - lots of inline mathematics
>>>       lots of display mathematics
>>>       lots of technical diagrams
>>>       lots of numbered items with multiple levels of numbering - layed
>>>           out both horizontally and vertically. Horizontal layout of
>>>           numbering might be 2, 3, 4, etc parts across page.
>>>
>>> Must be easy to both set quickly and edit both diagrams and text.
>>> Mathematics must be beautiful - think LaTeX, NOT MS equation editor...
>>>
>> Well why not do it in LATEX and import it into scribus.
>>

> Via PostScript?
>
> This will not be easily editable though. This is a bit like what we do
> now - expect we manage to get the LaTeX into our DTP app - but we can
> get words in as text - albeit as individual words - not paragraph :(.
> But some cunning macros can convert to a paragraph if we need to edit
> things.

I would suggest at least trying pdflatex, then inserting into an image
frame. You can find some various strategies of dealing with multipage
PDFs in the recent archives, but having one page PDFs would work without
extra post-pdflatex steps.

Greg