[Scribus] Creation of PDFs in black and white

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Feb 21 01:01:46 CET 2006

Am Montag, 20. Februar 2006 23:23 schrieb Louis Desjardins:
> James King a ?crit :
> > I'm currently looking into switching to scribus as my main DTP, away from
> > MS Word (which is now inadequate for the size and style I now need/want
> > to work at) and Acrobat 5.0.  I've had a look through the documentation
> > website, which answered many questions, however I've not been able to
> > find a resolution on creating black & white PDFs from colour documents.
> >
> > My printer requests it this way, and I also like to prepare small
> > web-based colour versions to be released after publication (so creating
> > the layouts in B&W isn't an option).  Before now I've created postscript
> > files in B&W and then fed them through the Acrobat Distiller, is there a
> > way I can cut down on this  labour intensive task by using Scribus?

Hi James,

> Hi James,
>
> There is an option in 1.3.3 cvs (maybe also in previous versions) for
> outputing a grayscale PDF. I personnaly did not try this feature yet but
> it should work fine.
>
> You can also open up your images in GIMP and save them as grayscale
> images. That way, you will have full control on your images. Plus, they
> will be lighter (in terms of weight in KB or MB!) and the resulting PDF
> will be as well.

One thing you should keep in mind is that converting a colour image to
grayscale in GIMP or any other image editor doesn't create a real b/w
picture, just a colour image without ... colours. To make a real b/w image,
you have to work a bit on the original. Here's a tutorial for GIMP:

http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/Color2BW/

> HTH
>
> Louis
>
> > Thanks in advance for any advice!