[Scribus] Postscript files

avox avox
Tue Apr 10 01:46:36 CEST 2007

hovergo wrote:

> This may be off topic.
>
> My computer parts supplier is adamant that  new laser printers are non
> postscript, rather they use a new file format developed by Microsoft.

Microsoft starting FUD again, eh?

> As I am in the market for a new laser low to mid range printer, I use
> Linux
> exclusively and Scribus easily exports to eps and ps, I am a little
> concerned. I find with 1.3.3.8 scribus, jpegs lose a lot in resolution
> when
> printed and don't now why.
> Can someone offer some advice of tell me if postscript \ eps will continue
> as a
> standard.

Your rumour supplier was probably talking about XPS which comes with Windows
Vista.
I'm not aware if Microsoft plans an update of older Windows systems to also
use XPS
(pretty unlikely, IMHO), so it would not be very wise for a printer
manufacturer to go
that way.

Anyway, current printer languages are either Postscript, PDF or some
manufacturer
standard, eg. HP's PCL or Epsons Esc/P. Linux gets pretty good support from
printer manafacturers recently (notably HP and Canon/Ricoh), so I wouldn't
fear
you can't use them anymore.

Artifex already produces an XPS version of ghostscript, so even if there
will be XPS
printers, the situation is not as bad as with the old GDI printers.

/Andreas