[Scribus] Paint or vector graphics program with charcoal drawing emulation

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Dec 24 02:31:02 CET 2007

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Hedley Finger wrote:
>
>> So I figured that Scribus is a good place to pose the question
>> because there must be others using The Gimp, Krita, Inkscape, etc.
>> for special graphics who could steer me corretly.  Believe me, I have
>> google until my eyes rolled up!  I may be onto a lead and will report
>> back if it turns out to have substance.
>>

> Well, if you can't find it elsewhere, you might as well come here.
> I fiddled around with Gimp, Inkscape, and Krita and there isn't any
> obvious easy way to do charcoal in any. IIRC, the Krita team did demo
> something like that at LGM2 in Montreal, probably still in development.

There is this link:
http://objectmix.com/graphics/138489-can-anyone-help-me-find-charcoal-filter-gimp-2-2-a.html

which suggests using ImageMagick.
I tried it out, and I guess I would say it depends on what you want this
to look like. It looks like charcoal, after a fashion, though it
probably depends on the input image.
Probably worth a try. If you've never used ImageMagick, the executable
is 'display' as in 'display yourimage.png'. Then left-click the image,
which brings up a menu. Choose F/X > Charcoal Draw...

Greg