[Scribus] What is an S font?

avox avox
Thu Dec 27 16:59:56 CET 2007

Brian Astill-2 wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 06:14:26 pm Craig Bradney wrote:
>> As Dean suggests, try starting Scribus from the command line
>> with the --font-info (or -fi) switch to get it to tell you
>> about the fonts it finds and rejects.
>
> Tried that without success.

Scribus should list all fonts in that directory and if the font is rejected,
give a reason.
Scribus rejects fonts for the following reasons:

* can't be opened by FreeType
* has broken glyphs (even some professional fonts contain broken glyphs)
* doesn't have a Unicode encoding
* is a bitmap font

If the fonts can be used in Konqueror or OOo, the first reason does not
apply, but the
other three reasons would be possible. We might provide work-arounds for
problems 2
and 3 in a later version of Scribus, but bitmap fonts just dont have a place
in professional
text layout.

/Andreas