[Scribus] Printer Command

Roger hovergo
Mon Dec 31 06:20:59 CET 2007

<snip>
Try checking Alternative Print Command in the Print dialog, then
  putting
in the box below something like
lp -dprintername
or
lpr -Pprintername
where printername is the name you assigned to your printer.
</snip>
------=====-------
thank you for the suggestion.
No matter what I do I get the same print out on top of a page.

%PDF-1.4
	&USA (with single quote marks over the U and A)
		5 0 obj
			<<Length 6 0 R/Filter  /FlateDecode>>
				stream (consisting  of line or two of garbage which always ends with
OX&e ~Sxx)

Its got me completely stumped because there are no errors in the
/var/log/messages, /error_logs, /cups/error_logs
It seems that the computer is not generating the postscript or .ps file
I had a look at the ./usr/share/cups/model/FujiXerox/en/fxlinuxprint.ppd but
it's not easy to understand lines are marked with a * or *%.

I copied the .ppd file from FC6 to FC8, and tried it with the same results
except the
last line stream had only 6 garbage characters.

I'm thinking that it may be a ghostscript issue but dont know where to look.
I exported a page in scribus .sla to pdf and eps in fc8
I used ps2pdf to convert the pdf page to ps
I ran gs -sDEVICE=DocuPrint_C2100 myfile.ps
Got the same lines as above.

exec  gs
ESP Ghostscript 815.04 (2007-03-14)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
GS>-sDEVICE=DocuPrint_C2100 letter.ps
ERROR: /undefined in -sDEVICE=DocuPrint_C2100
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
    %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
%loop_continue   2   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
false   1   %stopped_push   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
    --dict:1117/1686(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:102/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: 2
Current file position is 25

TIA