[Scribus] PDF questions: digitally sign + embed vs. outline

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Jul 16 14:13:34 CEST 2007

Femke Snelting wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> 2. I am aware that there are many good reasons for forcing fonts to
> outline in pdf export, but is there any way to switch this off
> temporarily or on a case-by-case basis? Using the python scripter for
> example? I've read the discussions on the list here, and tested the
> pdftops solution described here:
> http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2007-May/024023.html so it
> is not difficult to create machine readable pdf's from Scribus. But as
> we are having to use .ttf fonts (we might change this for the next
> issue, but that is not possible for the upcoming edition), I am stuck
> with only outlines...

You can choose to outline or not in the PDF export requester, and
perhaps make two versions of your PDF. AFAIK you should be able to
generate a PDF without outlining fonts, it's just that there may be
kerning and other letter placement issues.
Not sure what you mean by "machine readable." OCR? The list entry you
referred to has to do with extracting text from a PDF, using Adobe
Reader or some other utility.

Greg