[Scribus] PDF questions: digitally sign + embed vs. outline

Femke Snelting snelting
Mon Jul 16 14:42:58 CEST 2007

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Femke Snelting wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>

>> 2. I am aware that there are many good reasons for forcing fonts to
>> outline in pdf export, but is there any way to switch this off
>> temporarily or on a case-by-case basis? Using the python scripter for
>> example? I've read the discussions on the list here, and tested the
>> pdftops solution described here:
>> http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2007-May/024023.html so it
>> is not difficult to create machine readable pdf's from Scribus. But as
>> we are having to use .ttf fonts (we might change this for the next
>> issue, but that is not possible for the upcoming edition), I am stuck
>> with only outlines...
>>

> You can choose to outline or not in the PDF export requester, and
> perhaps make two versions of your PDF. AFAIK you should be able to
> generate a PDF without outlining fonts, it's just that there may be
> kerning and other letter placement issues.
> Not sure what you mean by "machine readable." OCR? The list entry you
> referred to has to do with extracting text from a PDF, using Adobe
> Reader or some other utility.

Hello Gregory,

If I choose to not-outline these particular .ttf fonts in the exporter,
they will disappear from the boxes on the right hand side; when I choose
'embed all', the font will appear in the 'outline box' instead. I
thought this behaviour was the result of a problem in the .ttf?

Mute publishes both on line and on paper. Our challenge is now how to
produce a web-version of the PDF, based on a finished lay-out. The web
version should be searchable and selectable -- that is what I meant by
machine-readable.

I referred to this thread, because halfway it offers a solution for the
kerning and letter placement issue (yes, I couldnt help but try your
very useful script for extracting texts ;-) but you are right, that is
about something else).

thanks again!

Femke