[Scribus] Scribus Digest, Vol 53, Issue 49

william f. maddock billsey
Sat Jul 28 13:33:42 CEST 2007

On Jul 27, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> Am Freitag, 27. Juli 2007 15:56 schrieb Ken Petty:
>> How do you place a graphic in a scribus document and make sure that
>> it is
>> embedded into the document regardless of where the source file is
>> moved?
>>
>> We are trying to launch our first paper utilizing scribus.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ken Petty
>> Publisher
>> Public News
>> http://www.publicnewsonline.com
>
> That's impossible. Scribus uses links to image files to keep the sla
> files a)
> small and b) in plain text (XML).

There are plenty of methods of encoding binary information into ASCII
characters. It might not be a bad idea to make embedding images a
non-default option, given the weaknesses being exposed with the
link-only strategy. Another solution might be to store within the file
the path to that file's absolute location in the filesystem. That way,
when a problem occurs, such as the file getting moved. That way, the
app has the information needed to find the linked-in objects where the
file had found them before; including, of course, the option and
ability to ask the user to find the missing objects through the use of
a file-loading dialog box.
http://www.lulu.com/billsey