[Scribus] Bleed and 1.3.4, again.

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Sun Jun 10 13:39:04 CEST 2007

2007/6/10, Magyar B?lint <magyarbalint at indi.hu>:

> avox wrote:
> > But if the final cutting isnt very accurate, wouldnt you end up with
> > horizontal stripes at the cut border?
>
> Not if you follow the shapes of the source image and "repaint"
> accordingly. :)
> This can be a very tedious task of course, but for a 1/4 or 1/8 inch bleed
> it
> should be feasible.

Understand. But as you say, it could be tedious... a key word in that
instance.

I come at this issue from a production point of view. We are missing bleed.
We are at the end of the process. There should be no real editing left and
we have a deadline to meet. What do we do to handle the case (which, btw,
happens more often than one can think)?

First, 1/4 inch is too much unless you run on a web-press where tolerance
limits are increased because of speed and depends on the equipment and on
the finishing modules at the end of the press). When on a sheetfed, 1/8 inch
is enough and I could say, more than enough. This is the preferred default
bleed value, generally speaking, in North America. You're always safe with
1/8. This means it could be made a smaller value in some case. Such as the
one we're talking about.

Provided everybody in the chain knows about the issue on that particular
job, you could even afford a smaller amount of bleed and the job will be cut
with more care than usual to avoid any white (or whatever the paper color
is) strip along the bleed edge.

Enlarging the image by a few percent will solve the case in a vast majority
of cases, and will take seconds to achieve. Just as an example, a 105%
enlargement on a letter size page (51 picas wide) will end at 53,55 picas
wich is a little over 1/6 inch on each side... this should be fine for the
trimmer guy.

Of course, if the design, for any reason, is at risk because of tightly
positionned element on this image, there are 3 options left:
1. agree to make a smaller document and use this kissfit no-bleed image and
cut the smallest possible amount of paper inside the margins.
2. Take the time to clone the bleed area... with the risks...
specs.

Depending on the situation, either of these will work. Just pick the one
that fits best your needs... and your deadline!

HTH

Louis

Balint