[Scribus] Bleed and 1.3.4, again.

John R. Culleton john
Sun Jun 10 15:59:34 CEST 2007

On Sunday 10 June 2007 07:39, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2007/6/10, Magyar B?lint <magyarbalint at indi.hu>:
> > avox wrote:
> > > But if the final cutting isnt very accurate, wouldnt you end up
> > > with horizontal stripes at the cut border?
> >
> > Not if you follow the shapes of the source image and "repaint"
> > accordingly. :)
> > This can be a very tedious task of course, but for a 1/4 or 1/8
> > inch bleed it
> > should be feasible.
> Understand. But as you say, it could be tedious... a key word in
> that instance.
> I come at this issue from a production point of view. We are
> missing bleed. We are at the end of the process. There should be no
> real editing left and we have a deadline to meet. What do we do to
> handle the case (which, btw, happens more often than one can
> think)?
> First, 1/4 inch is too much unless you run on a web-press where
> tolerance limits are increased because of speed and depends on the
> equipment and on the finishing modules at the end of the press).
> When on a sheetfed, 1/8 inch is enough and I could say, more than
> enough. This is the preferred default bleed value, generally
> speaking, in North America. You're always safe with 1/8. This means
> it could be made a smaller value in some case. Such as the one
> we're talking about.
> Provided everybody in the chain knows about the issue on that
> particular job, you could even afford a smaller amount of bleed and
> the job will be cut with more care than usual to avoid any white
> (or whatever the paper color is) strip along the bleed edge.
> Enlarging the image by a few percent will solve the case in a vast
> majority of cases, and will take seconds to achieve. Just as an
> example, a 105% enlargement on a letter size page (51 picas wide)
> will end at 53,55 picas wich is a little over 1/6 inch on each
> side... this should be fine for the trimmer guy.
> Of course, if the design, for any reason, is at risk because of
> tightly positionned element on this image, there are 3 options
> left: 1. agree to make a smaller document and use this kissfit
> no-bleed image and cut the smallest possible amount of paper inside
> the margins. 2. Take the time to clone the bleed area... with the
> risks... 3. Go back to the original document and edit it so it
> meets the industry's specs.
> Depending on the situation, either of these will work. Just pick
> the one that fits best your needs... and your deadline!

What my friend finally did was a simple expansion to not the 5/8 inch 
originally requested but to about 3/8" which is still very large.  He 
will lose detail in the art work (there are elements that appear to 
extend past the margin) but nothing critical.

As an altenative I did also suggest  reducing the artwork a bit, and 
putting it on top of a larger rectangle of a contrasting color such 
as deep red. After trimming the artwork would be in a colored frame. 
The downside of course is that the sides of the frame would most 
probably be of uneven width.  But it would preserve all the artwork. 

Oh yes, the artwork on the cover will be from a 72 dpi image, and not 
a 300 dpi image. It seems the file was too big to mail in hi res to 
the designer and the author couldn't/wouldn't handle either ftp or 
burning a disk.  This is a classic self inflicted wound on the part 
of the author.  But according to the rules of commerce the customer 
is always right. I am glad it wasn't my customer.  

John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting
Precision typesetting (tm) at reasonable cost.
Satisfaction guaranteed. 

More information about the scribus mailing list