[Scribus] Adaptable layout templates

Michael Koren kung42o
Mon Mar 26 22:41:26 CEST 2007

Timo Stollenwerk wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Koren schrieb:
>> Is this adaptable layout template idea still part of the current SoC
>> proposal for this project? If so, how will it be accomplished? It seems
>> Timo
>> is talking about managing it through the CMS and scripting, whereas
>> Ludwig
>> mentions making them in Scribus.
>
> I think the implementation of adaptive Layouts is beyond the scope of my
> SoC Proposal. For my diploma thesis I've read some scientific papers
> about adaptive layout techniques (if you are interested, I can send them
> to you)

yes please, that would be great. kung42o at mindspring dot com, if you don't
have it from the list.

> and I think this is no trivial task. As far as I know the
> development of adaptive layout is still a field of scientific research.
> Nevertheless there are existing prototypes.
>

>From my musings, there's definitely a lot of complicated possibilities, all
of which I won't try for now. Basic things like equally-spaced sequences and
styles for specifically-structured data should be fine though.

Mainly, then the framework is in place so people can consider what more is
desirable....

How do you plan to implement the creation of such layouts in Scribus?
> (All prototypes I know use XSL-FO). How do you plan to describe adaptive
> content elements?

In terms of sequences, or ordered groups, most basically. See my proposal
for details.

Michael