[Scribus] Congratulations and initial comments...

John Beardmore John
Mon Sep 24 00:12:18 CEST 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:47:25 -0400
> Louis Desjardins <louis_desjardins at mardigrafe.com> wrote:

>> It doesn't seem to be filed as a RFE so far. Before I do so, any comment
>> on that idea?
>
> That sounds like a good way to use up a huge amount of disk space and slow
> things down when saving, for very little gain.

The extent of the gain will no doubt depend on how you work.  All the
more reason to make it flexible I think.

I think the suggestion was: "This of course could be made as an option
(but activated as the default settings)", so I don't think there is any
plan to force you to work any other way.

> What happens when I want to delete an old project?  Do I have to remember to go
> to the collect directory and delete stuff there too?

If you go with the default I guess.  But deleting a directory isn't a
big overhead ?  The loss of disk space might be though I suppose.

As I tend to store a large number of backups over time, I suppose I
still have a preference for an option to have everything in the .sla
file so I don't have to tidy up loads of collect directories.

Presumably if I did a project with a name CommunityAndLandscape with
versions

	CommunityAndLandscape0000.sla
	CommunityAndLandscape0001.sla
	CommunityAndLandscape0002.sla
	etc...

I'd also end up with directories

	CommunityAndLandscape0000.Collect
	CommunityAndLandscape0001.Collect
	CommunityAndLandscape0002.Collect
	etc...

or something ?  I don't really care if each version is 100 meg as long
as I can tidy them up easily.

My ideal would be that all of the

	Present scheme with relative paths
	Present scheme but with absolute paths
	The collect directory option, and
	All objects embedded in the .sla file

all be available options.  Maybe the user could even set their own default ?

:)   I'm happy of course to accept that time is finite and

     'software development is not a democracy'

though !

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore, MSc EDM (Open), B.A. Chem (Oxon), CMIOSH, AIEMA, MEI.
Carbon Trust Consultant -  Energy Audit and Design Advice.