[scribus] Coloured Layers

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Fri Jul 18 02:07:52 CEST 2008

> Roger wrote:
>> Would it be possible to have Scribus indicate which layer and level a
>> text box and image box is on, perhaps with a small colour swatch to
>> show the layer colour, in the corner with the level number inside and
>> have this display switchable on or off in preferences.
>> TIA
>> Roger
> We'll see what others think. I'm not a big user of layers, but they seem
> to make the most sense when you have certain kinds of content on a given
> layer, named appropriately, and you can name your frames accordingly as
> well.
>
> You can also bring up the Layers dialog quite easily (F6) or even leave
> it open. Clicking the 'visible' checkbox will show/hide a given layer,
> so you instantly see what is on each layer.
>
> So what would be gained by adding your suggestion? (other than busy work
> for the programmers)
>
> Greg

Yes you are right in what you say, however I have run into problems by, without
thinking, putting a text box on the current layer then later after changing
layers a few times while adding and replacing other articles and images,
forgetting which layer it's on, making it difficult to access for alterations.
(House keeping problem borne of pressure to get the newsletter out.)

The Layers dialog left visible adds another level, on an already busy screen.
I mean the minimum work load is the Scribus layout page, the F2 properties, the
right click popup, and the editor.
Adding yet another dialog means that it has to be moved out of the way very
frequently as does the F2 properties dialog - messy.

For me it's convenient to F6 create and delete layers and leave them visible at
all times to avoid doubling up of work. I use the right click dialog to select
layers and levels and the layer pop up all the time and just thought that the
same colour swatches on that popup could be on a small 2 px square in the bottom
corner of a text or image box as a convenience.

For me, putting everything on the one layer makes for an impossible selection
where boxes are overlapping and I need to make alterations, inevitably the wrong
box gets selected and has to be moved to reveal the underlying box. If a ox is
locked it still is selectable and  prevents selecting an underlying box.
Anyway, just a thought.
Roger