[scribus] DPI and PDF question

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:57:36 CEST 2008

[snip]

> Thanks for pointing out the 'obvious_mistake'. However it still produces errors (my original file
> that I am wanting to reduce in size is named 'Example.pdf'):
>
> nigel at laptop:~/Hamaayan/Example$ pdftops -level3 -paper match "$Example" - | gsc -q -dSAFER
> -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -dAutoRotatePages=/None
> -dEmbedAllFonts=true -dSubsetFonts=true -sOutputFile="$example.pdf" -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -c
> .setpdfwrite -
> Error: Couldn't open file ''

Note: the filename is empty, no doubt because you do not have
an environment variable called Example.

Depending on your shell, you could run:

export Example=Example.pdf

If you are running a script (I didn't read all the parts tht I snipped),
the variable is used in the script just so that you can use the script
with different files without editing the script each time.

Assuming that you have a script shrinkpdf that contains the
pdftops ... | gsc ... commands, you could run that script like this:

export Example=Example.pdf
./shrinkpdf

If you are typing the commands yourself, then just use the actual
filename.
instead of $Example.

> *** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "q"

[several warnings snipped]