[scribus] DPI and PDF question

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Thu Jul 24 19:24:51 CEST 2008

John Brown wrote:
> [snip]
>> Thanks for pointing out the 'obvious_mistake'. However it still produces errors (my original file
>> that I am wanting to reduce in size is named 'Example.pdf'):
>>
>> nigel at laptop:~/Hamaayan/Example$ pdftops -level3 -paper match "$Example" - | gsc -q -dSAFER
>> -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -dAutoRotatePages=/None
>> -dEmbedAllFonts=true -dSubsetFonts=true -sOutputFile="$example.pdf" -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -c
>> .setpdfwrite -
>> Error: Couldn't open file ''
>
> Note: the filename is empty, no doubt because you do not have
> an environment variable called Example.
>
> Depending on your shell, you could run:
>
> export Example=Example.pdf
>
> If you are running a script (I didn't read all the parts tht I snipped),
> the variable is used in the script just so that you can use the script
> with different files without editing the script each time.
>
> Assuming that you have a script shrinkpdf that contains the
> pdftops ... | gsc ... commands, you could run that script like this:
>
> export Example=Example.pdf
> ./shrinkpdf
>

> If you are typing the commands yourself, then just use the actual
> filename.
> instead of $Example.
>
>> *** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "q"
>
> [several warnings snipped]
>
>> *** EOF again to exit
>> nigel at laptop:~/Hamaayan/Example$
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel

Thanks, that did it. It reduced the file size from 10.3 MB to 4.0 MB.
I did try the suggestion for using the compress-newsletter.pl perl script (mentioned on a similar
thread) - and it reduced the same file from 10.3 MB to 1.4 MB.
However, what is interesting is that just using Scribus to create the PDF file, and resampling
images to 72 dpi (all the other options were left at their default settngs), the resulting file
size was 1.3 MB (the jpg images were noticeably reduced in quality - but still acceptable at 'Fit
Page' viewing size, in both Adobe Reader 8 and Kpdf).

So it would seem that Scribus, by itself, is pretty good at doing the [whole] job!

Thank you all for the help.

Blessings,

Nigel

--