[scribus] Picas and Points

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Mon Jul 28 01:12:26 CEST 2008

F.Harr:
>>> Thanks all.  If it's not too late to say, I prefere a comma, rather
>>> than a "p", but it's only a minor "point".
>>
>> Comma is used as a decimal point in some locales and as a 1000
>> separator in
>> others.
>> IMO it's a bad choice to give it the pica/point meaning.
>> /Andreas
The only place that USES picas and points is the U.S. and Brittain.  Who
cares?  France uses Ciceros and Dideros and everywhere ells uses
milimeters. Who cares?

The 99p99.9 format has a long tradition when layouts and type were
marked up on the manuscript or typescript.  Usability tip: use notations
that people already understand.  This format is also used in
FrameMaker.   Oh, and Australians care 'cos we use commas as thousands
separators -- and we don't use Ciceros or Dideros or even Didot (which
is what I think you meant).  Can't you spell or are you just too lazy to
proofread your posts?

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>