[scribus] Scribus on 'modern' machines

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Fri May 2 01:04:20 CEST 2008

Craig Ringer wrote in another context altogether:

> As Scribus is single-threaded and single-process...

Out of interest, I was thinking of getting a faster machine, not least
to get better Scribus performance.

It would be nice to have everyday editing be a bit more responsive, but
my biggest concern is printing, as printing a 53 document with even a
few high resolution pictures seems to take an hour or so.  If you need
to print one draft a day, that's quite a pain.

At the moment I'm using a three year old 1.8GHz single core CPU laptop
with 2 gig of memory.

Amount of memory doesn't seem to be a bottleneck, so my guess is that
CPU and memory speed are likely to be the main rate determining
characteristics.

I'm now looking at upgrading to a dual core 2.4GHz machine with 4 gig of
faster memory.

I guess faster memory and CPU might improve editing speed a little, but
I assume given Craigs comment, that the extra CPU core won't help much
there.  Is that right ?

But will a second core help more with printing ?  In other words, does
any part of the printing process run in a separate thread that might
benefit from a second core ?

Many thanks, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor