[scribus] One mans junk...(Re: scribus Digest, Vol 2, Issue 39)

Paul backpages1 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 18:58:07 CEST 2008

Good Morning!

Re: below

> Good Morning! (from this time zone)
>
> In today's issue, this:
>
> I have two hard drives, and use a surge protector. The newest/biggest hard
> > drive is for work and the older/smaller one is for experiments with
> > different distributions and more pertinently for my two backup
> partitions.
> >  Overnight my work files (/usr/local and /home ) are backed up to
> partitions
> > on drive number 2.
> >
> > About every three years I buy a still newer and bigger drive. The oldest
> > drive is retired, the remaining drive is demoted to backup duty and the
> > newest is now the daily work drive.  I buy hardware from Tiger Direct.
>

> Wait,what happens to the oldest drive? You don't throw it away, do you? Can
> I have it (them)? (I can't afford new drives, I have to choose between food
> and new drives, and food wins)(yes, I am almost dirt poor. I had to walk to
> school in the winter with just bread bags on my feet, and it was up-hill
> both ways....)
>
> Paul
>
> > --
> > John Culleton
> > Resources for every author and publisher:
> > http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf
> > http://wexfordpress.com/tex/packagers.pdf
> > http://www.creativemindspress.com/newbiefaq.htm
> > http://www.gropenassoc.com/TopLevelPages/reference%20desk.htm

> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> On Friday 23 May 2008 11:47:58 am Paul wrote:
> > Good Morning! (from this time zone)
> >
> > In today's issue, this:
> >
> > I have two hard drives, and use a surge protector. The
> > newest/biggest hard
> >
> > > drive is for work and the older/smaller one is for experiments
> > > with different distributions and more pertinently for my two
> > > backup partitions. Overnight my work files (/usr/local and /home
> > > ) are backed up to partitions on drive number 2.
> > >
> > > About every three years I buy a still newer and bigger drive. The
> > > oldest drive is retired, the remaining drive is demoted to backup
> > > duty and the newest is now the daily work drive.  I buy hardware
> > > from Tiger Direct.
> >
> > Wait,what happens to the oldest drive? You don't throw it away, do
> > you? Can I have it (them)? (I can't afford new drives, I have to
> > choose between food and new drives, and food wins)(yes, I am almost
> > dirt poor. I had to walk to school in the winter with just bread
> > bags on my feet, and it was up-hill both ways....)
> >
> > Paul
> >

> The retired drives end up in the junque box. I don't think an elderly
> 7gb or so drive is worth shipping anywhere. For one thing they are
> ATA and SATA is fashionable nowadays. But If you want to pay the
> shipping I'll see what I can do. They will be formatted  with Linux
> partitons, with maybe a stray Win2000 partition here and there.
> On what continent do you live?
>
> Feet? You had feet? I used to crawl to school on my stumps...

Yes, well I do have another machine that is used for Linux, and the 7gb size
is bigger than either of my machines,and all I really need is some more
storage/testing space. Please advise what  USPS Parcel Post would cost and I
think I can cover it. Add would be P.O. Box 5292, Colorado Springs,CO
80931-5292,Attn:P.S.Elliott.

You were luck to have legs, I have no arms and frequently fell in the 6'
snow drifts.
Paul