[scribus] Locking/unlocking frames => by the page or document, show locked frames

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Nov 13 17:11:36 CET 2008

Mike Breiding wrote:

> Greetings,
> Is there a way to unlock or lock an entire page or document regardless
> of whether any objects are already locked?
>
> Currently, if I have a page with some, but not all objects locked and
> I select all the objects and drop the context menu, the "Is Locked" is
> checked. If I then un-check it it does not unlock all the objects.
> If, while all objects are still selected I then choose "Is Locked" all
> objects are not locked.
>
> I get the same behavior when I select the entire document.
>
> Is there a way to have locked objects visible other than selecting them?
> something like a: "Show locked frames" option?
There may be different opinions on this. In general, I think the devs
would say (not being one of them myself) that there have to be
limitations set on how many particular ways of slicing and dicing a
document need to be available. At some point it just gets confusing, and
also can lead to a never-ending request list for yet another way to
tweak a document.

As you note, these things are not possible in the way you are trying.
OTOH, you can certainly bring up the layers dialog (F6), and lock entire
layers, and make them visible or hidden. You can continue working with
this dialog still available. As far as finding locked objects, as you
should note,  the frame has a different appearance when an object is
locked, so visually you can instantly see this.

I don't have time to check at the moment, but I believe a script could
be written to accomplish some sort of large scale object locking and
unlocking, based on frame type, maybe even all frames. If you wanted to
lock an entire document, you could save it, and then set the permissions
for the file accordingly.

Greg