[scribus] Scribus calls Gimp

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Nov 24 14:05:39 CET 2008

On Sunday 23 November 2008 05:34:53 pm Hedley Finger wrote:
> John:
> > Unfortunately X/3 hasn't made it across the ocean yet. Our
> > printers are totally ignorant of it.  So a further conversion
> > would still be needed. I will experiment with this however. It
> > might solve some other problems.
>
> Have you tried saving a PDF as X/3, opening it again in Acrobat,
> then *printing* it to PostScript or PDF using Adobe PDF or whatever
> virtual printer with the  protocol your printer requires?  With any
> luck, the first pass would convert everything to CMYK, and the
> second pass will get it in the PDF protocol your printer requires.
> I have done this in the past to get an unstructured PostScript file
> into structured PostScript (which, after all, is what PDF is).
>
> Hmmmm, does Windows GDI get in the way at any point and try to
> convert it all back to RGB.  Experts, please!  Why not find a
> printer who uses RGB --> CMYK on the fly in the ripper?
>
> There are many ways to skin the cat ...
>
> Regards,
> Hedley
>
> --
>
> Hedley Finger
Unfortunately the only US POD printer who grants automatic access to
wholesaler Ingram is LSI, and they want everything to pdf 1.3 specs.
Actually they want pdf X/1:2001 but that is roughly pdf 1.3.  If not
LSI will rasterize the entire cover prior to submitting to prepress,
which means that the cover is rasterized twice, with bad things
happening to type, bar code etc. I can print elsewhere but that means
giving a distributor 70% of cover price.

I can also use Adobe Distiller and process the file to their specs but
it is a matter of policy with me not to use commercial software that
I have to pay for.  (Acrobat Reader is OK.)

I don't use Windows except for testing software etc. destined for the
Windows market.

--
John Culleton
Precision Typesetting