[scribus] Formula in 1.3.5 (bug)

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Thu Apr 9 07:46:05 CEST 2009

> element. So you can imagine my annoyance when I discovered that LaTeX
> requires me to make a choice globally for the entire document, and the
> choices are to indent all paragraphs, or separate all paragraphs with
> an extra space. That's just wrong. Through the entire three days I
> worked in it I struggled trying to get it to do what I needed to do. I
> couldn't even set the title page because I wasn't allowed to set the
> text at a large enough point size.

It seems as if you have not fully understood how LaTeX works:

The design is controlled by the document class. You CAN write your own
customized document class. It is also fully possible to make
"exceptions" from the base class for signle lines or paragraphs.

The document class is a kind of "macros" for each part of the
document, telling TeX how to lay things out. And since it is macros,
they can of course be changed, replaced or amended.

Have you for example looked at this page for tips on how to acheive
what you want?
http://texnik.dante.de/cgi-bin/mainFAQ.cgi?file=index

I'd say TeX is even more powerful than Indesign or similar program,
the only thing it lacks is WYSIWYG. In LaTeX you can for example
specify that the paragraph on top of each page shall be differently
formatted than the other pargraphs, and that works even when text is
reflowed. That is possible because the document class is a macro, you
can use "if...then"-like conditions for the formatting.

The problem is that you need to learn, and fully understand, the TeX
language to make these modifications.

/Peter