[scribus] Starting with Scribus

Blue Beehive alan at bluebeehive.com
Thu Jul 2 10:58:08 CEST 2009

OK. I have downloaded and installed Scribus and started to read the
documentation (splendid stuff Peter). I am a Windows user who has never
done any DTP before, or anything else really, only business accounts
(package), the occasional spreadsheet  and the usual emails. I have
foolishly agreed to prepare and publish our village mag - 32 double
sided A4 pages and around 800 copies per run) and thought Scribus hits
the button. Now here is the BUT. I now find that I also now have to have
GhostScript and Ghostscript viewer, GIMP and I don't know what else, and
have got to learn about PS, PDF and EPS files together with typography,
fonts, colour manipulation and what seems like a myriad of other things.

My question is simple. Where do I start? Which comes first in the
learning curve. Scribus, the other programs, terminology, the file
types? I am surrounded, nay buried, in 'new stuff'. So much so that I
have lost all sense or direction and have no idea where the door is. Can
anybody point to it. -- Please!

Alan