[scribus] I need help creating a publication for a public school

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 8 04:30:48 CEST 2009

Tobias Lochner wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I’m working as a teacher at a public school. At moment it’s my task to
> compile a publication about all the stuff that’s going on at our school over
> the year.
>
> Because there is already an other booklet about the school, which is made by
> a professional, I want to use (nearly) the same design, that was used in
> this publication. (This is also wanted by the administration.) I attached a
> two page excerpt as an example.
>

> So this leads to my question(s):
>

> Is it possible to realize this kind of layout with scribus at moment?
>
> How can I get something like the circle-like borders on the left and right?
>
> What about the dropshawdows?
>

> Any Help is appreciated.
>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>> Bye, Tobias

As others have stated, this is all pretty easy to do with Scribus,
though the feathered edge of the drop shadow is going to require some
external tool like Gimp.

This all having been said, I'm not much of a fan of this design.
Everyone, including students, of course, love seeing their own and their
friends' pictures, and all these semi-transparent overlays do is obscure
many of the faces, and visually I think it's annoying -- why should this
curved shape overlay be such a visual focus?

So perhaps as an exercise in practicing layout with Scribus this is
something worth working on, but I think surely you can make a more
attractive and enjoyable layout.

Greg