[scribus] FOUND WORKAROUND - How to change the "Distance of text" for multiple text frames in one go?

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Sun Jul 12 15:35:10 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Quote by Owen:

"Anyway, just what is you aim, to produce a calendar? If so there other
options, pcal is a neat program that provides a postscript output ready
for importation into Scribus."

Yes, I want to create a calendar, but that is not the real issue as you may have noticed. There is a more general issue with the limited table functionality in Scribus, a long standing issue I see from posts dug up using Google, and the way it handles setting properties for multiple text frames at once.

Anyway, I have found a workaround for my issue. It is a bit fiddly, but still far easier and less time consuming than having to set Top/Left/Bottom/Right "Distance of Text" for hundreds of cells in a table on an individual cell-by-cell basis...

So, here it is, I hope some others may be helped with this too.

- Create table using the "Insert table" tool
- Add data to it as required
- Open the "Properties" window
- Go to the "Colors" TAB
- Set a fill color if desired by clicking the Bucket icon first, and
than selecting the color
- Now select the Pencil button to set the outline properties, and choose
a color. It doesn't matter which one, because we are going to set
opacity to 0%
- Set Opacity to 0%, this will make the outline completely transparant,
and thus invisible
- Now select the "Line" TAB in the Properties window.
- Set a Line Width. If you already have contents in the table, you will
immediately notice the text will move inwards, allowing space for the
inisible(!) outline without overlapping the text. It kind of works like
the "Distance of Text", just setting all four sites at once.

Now, of course, we can no longer set an Outline color for individual
cells with this solution! If you don't need that, you are done. However,
if you do need a visible Outline, there is more work.

At first, I though I could simply create a new second table, and put
that one on top and set the Outline color there. While in theory this
works, there is an issue with this. Contrary to the Insert Text Frame
tool, the Insert Table tool sets each frames / cells "Text Flows Around
Frame" property on the "Shape" TAB to TRUE. As soon as you put such a
table on top of the original table, it causes a "Text overflow" error in
the underlying table, and you will no longer see the contents of the
cells of the underlying table.

So, what to do?

Use the Insert Text Frame tool instead, as it will leave the "Text Flows
Around Frame" property at FALSE, which doesn't cause a "Text overflow"
error for the underlying table. Of course, this poses another issue, as
you now have to create a table from single cells. However, by simply
copying and pasting (groups of) textframes, and using the "Align and
Distribute" tools of Scribus, it should be fairly easy to create large
tables fast.

So, here's another instruction:

- Create and select a new layer. You probably don't want the second
table to be in the same layer as the original data table, so create a
new layer if desired.
- Create a second table with same no. of rows and columns and exactly
the same width and height using individual text frames as per
description above.
- Leave the Fill color for the cells at "None", as otherwise you will be
hiding the underlying table with the real data.
- Set the Outline color using a line style or directly in the properties
window
- Align it on top of the "data-table", and you will have your outlines...

Marco