[scribus] Text overflow in Text Frames

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Mon Jul 13 12:50:58 CEST 2009

> I noticed for example that if I have a text of 20pt height and 50pt
> wide, the Text Frame needs to be maybe 35pt high and 80pt wide in order
> for Scribus to display the text therein. If I make it smaller, Scribus
> generates a Text Overflow error and no longer displays the text.

> Why is this? I would expect Scribus to honour the MBB as the minimum

If I recall correct, Scribus does take into account allt the ascenders
and descenders in the font. So if you have your text in capitals only,
it still wants to have space for the lower case descenders.

Although I do agree that not showing the text is a bit frustrating, I
think it would be better if Scribus just cropped the text at the edge
of the text frame (but it might be to hard to do with the current
rendering engine). That way the user can decide for themselves whether
the overflow is a showstopper or not.

/Peter