[scribus] Question about "Opacity"

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 14:53:11 CEST 2009

Frank Pieczynski wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question about usage of "Opacity" in 'Properties'->'Colors' of a image:
> My goal was a light big background picture on a flyer. So I opened a
> image frame, put it to background and set the 'Opacity' to 70%. On top
> of that I placed the text frames and other images.
>
> BUT during PDF export scribus gives me an red error for the background
> frame! I decided to ignore the error and the result was as expected
> and looks beautiful. What's wrong or what is the right way to do this?
> I tried with 'Image effects', but was not able to get the same
> results.

The Preflight Verifier is a bit clumsy in that it may be hard to see the
difference between warnings and errors. Even if you have done things
correctly, it will give you a warning about transparency. I think there
is some value in giving you some kind of reminder -- it's at least good
to scan the "errors" to see what it's finding.

It can take time to learn all the options in PDF export, and while it
may be crude, sometimes a bit obtuse, these messages can help understand
something about settings. The worst thing to do would be to shut off all
error messages.

Greg