[scribus] Question about "Opacity"

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jul 14 15:17:32 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 03:39:59 am Tijl Vercaemer wrote:
> 2009/7/14 Frank Pieczynski <pieczy at googlemail.com>:
> > BUT during PDF export scribus gives me an red error for the
> > background frame! I decided to ignore the error and the result
> > was as expected
>
> At the top of the dialog that shows you that error, there is a
> drop down box. Is pdf selected in that box? Of is it postscript?
> If postscript is selected, the reason for that error is that
> postscript can't handle transparency. I believe you should be
> able to select pdf and check for errors again.
>
> Tijl

You have to select pdf 1.4 or higher.  And before going to print you
need to flatten the file somehow. Some printers will do this for
you as part of prepress. But for those that insist on PDF/x1a:2001
(essentially a restricted form of pdf 1.3) my strategy is to print
to file in Acrobat reader yielding a flattened Postscript file and
then convert that file back to pdf.

Specifically LSI wants a flattened file but 360 Digital Books will
still accept a pdf 1.5 file.

It appears that some future version of Scribus will produce a pdf to
the more restrictive PDF/X1a standard but it is unclear whether
e.g. transparencies will be converted properly or just changed to
100% opaque.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95