[scribus] Size of text frame compared to contents

Ole Madsen philimorept at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 05:26:04 CEST 2009

--- On Thu, 7/16/09, D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com>
> Subject: [scribus] Size of text frame compared to contents
> Date: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 3:23 PM
> I'm sure this is answered somewhere
> in the manual, but I can't find it
> (actually, that's my biggest complaint about the manual...
> I just cannot
> find stuff in it; maybe I'm just too used to the TeXbook's
>
> Anyway, it seems like whenever I create a text frame and
> put some text in
> it, the vertical extent of the box always has to be much
> larger than the
> vertical extent of the text (roughly by a factor of two) in
> order for the
> text to display. If I make the frame shorter than about
> twice the height of
> the text, the text does not display at all.
>
> It seems like there's some margin setting or something that
> is invisibly
> occupying the lower half of the frame :-(
>
> How do I create a text frame that fits much tighter around
> the text and yet
> still allows the text to be displayed?
>
> Currently using 64-bit Scribus 1.3.5svn 26 January 2009
> (the Kubuntu-ng
> package), but this has haunted me for at least the prior
> two Kubuntu
> releases, so I think it's a fundamental lack of
> understanding on my part
> rather than any kind of version-specific problem.
>
>   Doc

Perhaps this is a 64 bit issue?  My 32 bit installation of 1.3.5svn on Mandriva 2009.1 does not behave like that.  Sure, the text overflow message crops up once in a while when there actually is no overflow, but it is not really a problem.

I may be wrong on this, but it is my impression that in many cases 64 bit software is more trouble than it is worth.  I don't have any experience running Scribus on a 64 bit machine, but some other packages have been troublesome in the past.  Flash to name one.

Ole