[scribus] Finding Stuff in the Wiki and Manual

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 14:51:23 CEST 2009

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:23:49 -0600
> "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans at gmail.com> dijo:
>

>> I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the manual, but I can't find it
>> (actually, that's my biggest complaint about the manual... I just cannot
>> find stuff in it; maybe I'm just too used to the TeXbook's index).
>>

> I don't have the manual, but I have spent hours trying to find stuff in
> the Wiki and other documentation, frequently without luck. I have a
> theory that might explain my lack of skill at finding things.
>
> I have never used TeX, but I have used a number of other layout apps -
> PageMaker, QuarkXpress, Ventura, InDesign - and I think my problem is
> terminology. For example, I search for how to do a tab and can't find
> it. How was I to know that Scribus calls it a tabulator? I could go on
> and on, but I think y'all see my point. Even people new to the whole
> idea of DTP don't know the Scribus terms for things. Yet the
> documentation typically contains only the Scribus term.
>
> I am wondering if we could somehow create a table of terminology for
> the various apps with the Scribus equivalents. If Scribus and all the
> other common apps call it the same thing (eg., "paragraph style"), this
> would not need to be included. But if any of the other apps uses a
> different term, this should be listed.
>
> This could become a mini-project within the documentation side of
> Scribus. Ultimately the results could be incorporated into the Wiki and
> the index for the manual.
>
> Discussion and suggestions welcome, as usual.

As always, additions and improvements to the wiki are more than welcome,
and user-driven. Much, if not most of what you see on the wiki came
about because various people had some kind of confusion or concern like
yours, figured it out, then decided to help others from having to go
through what they did by making a new wiki article.

Even if you don't feel you know enough to write new material, we can
always use help in expanding the index to include more search topics.

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Index

Greg