[scribus] Size of text frame compared to contents

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sat Jul 18 09:37:12 CEST 2009

Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2009 16:11:45 schrieb D. R. Evans:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 07/16/2009 04:23 PM :
> > I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the manual, but I can't find it
> > (actually, that's my biggest complaint about the manual... I just cannot
> > find stuff in it; maybe I'm just too used to the TeXbook's index).
>
> I think I should make it clear, having seen how this thread has developed,
> that I chose the TeXbook merely as an example of a book with a wonderful
> index -- I don't think I have ever failed to find what I wanted after
> consulting its index. It had nothing to do with the fact that the TeXbook
> happens to be about putting characters on a page.
>
> Perhaps the following figures are telling:
>
> Scribus manual length: ~430 pages
> Scribus index length: ~6 pages
>
> TeX manual length: ~455 pages
> TeX index length: ~25 pages

As one of the main authors of the manual I have to say that the index is
always up for improvements. However, I don't think it's a good idea to
compare the index of a Scribus book with a (La)TeX book. After all, (La)TeX
requires hundreds of commands/parameters/switches etc. Please don't take this
as critcism of (La)TeX! I love it and have my fair share of books on the
topic on my shelves, but you better compare the printed manual to a
QuarkXPress or InDesign manual.

That being said, feel free to send me suggestions as to how we can improve the
current index.

Christoph