[scribus] Font in PDF does not match screen

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sun Jul 19 15:23:38 CEST 2009

Nick Hasser wrote:

> I'm making the assumption that you are using Scribus for professional
> purposes. If that is the case, then you should not have a problem
> testing your product in the expected environment.

I'm making the assumption that you're making the assumption that I'm
targeting my PDF at a single print device or user.

I'm not.  I put PDFs on web sites and people can download them anywhere
to view on anything. Having fonts when they arrive is always a nice touch !

> On the other hand, if your use is for non-professional purposes,

:) This is one of those irregular verbs isn't it ?

     My way of working is professional
     Your way of working is non-professional
     His way of working is un-professional...

> then
> does it really matter if you publish the document and have to republish
> it because it wasn't correct the first time?

Time is time.  Why would I want to waste it ?

> Maybe I'm biased because I've been using Scribus for almost 3 years to
> publish a monthly newsletter, but the Font tab in the Save as PDF dialog
> is pretty obvious to me.

It is.  None the less, from time to time I receive PDFs from people
without all the fonts embedded. Clearly this is an easy thing for naive
users to do, and not just Scribus users. These naive users are still
professionals in their own fields.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor