[scribus] Font in PDF does not match screen

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Sun Jul 19 17:51:04 CEST 2009

> But the whole point about OSS software is that it is accessible to
> people who haven't had to spend thousands of dollars on software with
> training on top.

I haven't spent any money at all learning DTP, I have learned
everything from free online sources.

And learning about how to produce "optimized" PDFs is very easy, there
are hundreds of pages on the web talking about different issues about
PDF creation.

> I would have though it sensible to default to embedding all fonts,
> giving notices that

The number one complaint about PDFs on this list is that they are to
big. People want small PDFs. Embedding fonts always makes the PDF
bigger. That is why all PDF generation software require that you
explicitly state if you want to embed fonts. For example if you are
distributing PDFs within and organisation where you know all computers
have the same font, it would be a huge waste of space to always embed
all fonts.

/Peter