[scribus] Hyphenation/justification settings (was Re: Text layout on Scribus Manual)

Tornóci László torlasz at net.sote.hu
Thu Jul 23 09:45:42 CEST 2009

John Culleton wrote:
> I note that the typeseting on the back cover of the manual utilizes
> optical alignment (hanging punctuation.) I would like to know what
> version of Scribus was used for this text, and how one turns on
> optical alignment in Scribus.
>
> One of my buddies, an InDesign user, criticizes the first paragraph
> for having oversized word spaces. He suggests that letterspacing
> has been turned off. I am of the opinion, along with Goudy, that a
> man who would letterspace lower case would steal sheep. However I
> do think that the paragraph at a time justification method used in
> both TeX and InDesign is the way to go.  Is that in the plans
> somewhere?

I use 1.3.5, the development version for the reason it has much better
hyphenation-justification (H&J) than the stable branch. 1.3.5 has
optical margins, it allows you to tweak word tracking and glyph
extension (found in text properties, advanced settings). For word
tracking (=interword spacing) you can set a minimal and a normal width
in percentages, for glyph extension (horizontally shrinking/extending
glyphs) you can set a minimum and a maximum. There is no way to set a
maximum for word tracking, and there is no way to change within-word
spacing (letterspacing) at all (correct me if I'm wrong). H&J is
strictly line oriented.

I think the problem is, DTP experts can't really agree about what
methods should be used to get a good typesetting. I think some of the
opinions are more like a religious belief than something you can
actually prove. Like your quote from Goudy: I don't think anyone has
eyes sharp enough to detect 1-3% changes in within-word spacing, and
these changes could allow a H&J algorithm to achieve a better solution.
By the way, I agree, noticeable within-word spacing is absolutely UGLY,
(but large interword spaces are not nice either).

I don't understand why Scribus allows for glyph extension and not for
changing the within-word spacing. The former is a bigger no-no among
purists then the latter.

There are some convincing examples in James Felici's book: The Complete
Manual of Typography showing the same text typeset with different
settings of: interword and within-word spacing and glyph extension.
Combining small (not noticeable) amounts of all these gives you a really
pleasing result.

It would be very nice to be able to use all these settings in Scribus.
The purists could always disable the features they don't like. And a
paragraph oriented H&J is also a must. Currently if you reach the max
hyphenations allowed at the end of lines, you get ridiculously large
interword spacings in the next line.

So yes, I agree with John, better H&J is necessary. Now that we have TeX
frames, is there a way to link them the way we do text frames? Guess
not, but perhaps Scribus could pass linked text frames to TeX after some
filtering?

					Yours: Laszlo