[scribus] Hyphenation/justification settings (was Re: Text layout on Scribus Manual)

Tornóci László torlasz at net.sote.hu
Fri Jul 24 08:19:20 CEST 2009

avox wrote:
> Tornóci László-2 wrote:
>> 1.3.5 has
>> optical margins, it allows you to tweak word tracking and glyph
>> extension (found in text properties, advanced settings). For word
>> tracking (=interword spacing) you can set a minimal and a normal width
>> in percentages, for glyph extension (horizontally shrinking/extending
>> glyphs) you can set a minimum and a maximum. There is no way to set a
>> maximum for word tracking, and there is no way to change within-word
>> spacing (letterspacing) at all (correct me if I'm wrong).
>>
> You can change letterspacing manually with the "AV" button.

Yes, I know, manual kerning has been available in Scribus for a long
time. What I meant: there is no way to let the H&J algorithm
automatically change letterspacing within limits that I can set.

>> I don't understand why Scribus allows for glyph extension and not for
>> changing the within-word spacing. The former is a bigger no-no among
>> purists then the latter.
>>
> Hm, is it? Letter spacing changes the color of the text whereas glyph
> extension doesnt. Also glyph extension gives the similar transformation
> to what you get when you look at the text from an angle.

You are right, but glyph extension is still being frowned upon by many
people. I have no problem with it (as long as its limits are narrow). My
point is the lack of use of letterspacing in H&J in Scribus.

>> There are some convincing examples in James Felici's book: The Complete
>> Manual of Typography showing the same text typeset with different
>> settings of: interword and within-word spacing and glyph extension.
>> Combining small (not noticeable) amounts of all these gives you a really
>> pleasing result.
>>
>> It would be very nice to be able to use all these settings in Scribus.
>> The purists could always disable the features they don't like.

To summarize: the examples in the above mentioned book convinced me,
that you get the best result by including in the H&J automatic change of
interword _and_ within-word spacing _and_ glyph extension. All of them
with tight limits, that are not noticeable, but together give enough
freedom to the H&J algorithm. I know including yet another variable
complicates the algorithm even further, but please consider including it
in the spirit of open source: by setting the limits the user could
achieve any behaviour that she/he likes most. You, as a developer may
"voice your opininon" by setting the _default_ limits of within-word
spacing to 100%-100%, effectively disabling it.

> Paragraph-oriented  H&J is already planned.

Absolutely glad to hear that.

>> So yes, I agree with John, better H&J is necessary. Now that we have TeX
>> frames, is there a way to link them the way we do text frames? Guess
>> not, but perhaps Scribus could pass linked text frames to TeX after some
>> filtering?

> That's also planned. A future version will allow linking of imageframes, so
> they
> can be filled with multipage images. I also have some idea for a magical TeX
> interface that passes frame information and more to TeX, but I don't know
> when
> I'll find time for that.

That's also very nice, but if native paragraph-oriented H&J is coming in
Scribus, this is less important (at least to me).

By the way: very many thanks to the developers for this excellent tool.
It is a _joy_ to work with Scribus, even with the development version
with its bugs. I can put up with them, because to end product really
looks the way I want. (If only H&J would be a bit better...)

					Yours: Laszlo