[scribus] Colour Profiles - make colour matching worse!

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 24 18:12:39 CEST 2009

Am Freitag 24 Juli 2009 01:48:38 schrieb Calum Polwart:
> AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!
>
> I have a 32 page newsletter with a  colour cover.  We've had problems
> before with poor colour matching so we've been trying to export as PDF X/3
>
> But when I export to X3 I get an awful mess!
>
> Basically there are some shadows in two cover photos and they export as
> black rather than dark colour.  But the bit I don't understand is...
>
> I have scribus open on my computer.  I tell it to export to PDF X/3 and
> then open on the same computer the document in Acrobat Reader (9) and it
> looks all dark and scary.  So I then try printing it and it prints like it
> looks in Acrobat...  So the colour match from the Acrobat to the Printer
> seems fine.  Why does scribus think the photos need to become darker when
> its exporting them?  Surely they should be rendered darker on the scribus
> screen....?
>
> I've pulled some screenshots together to show what I mean.  Image on LHS is
> Acrobat PDF X3 document, middle is scribus and right is PDF 1.4
>
> http://www.wittongilbert.free-online.co.uk/colour.png
>
> You'll notice that PDF1.4 is far clearer than the X3 document...?  Yet this
> is the same desktop so should they not either all render the same or left
> and centre be the same?
>
> Calum

Umm, the colors have to be more blakish for printing, because offset colors
are a little transparent (they still show the white from the paper). So the
picture on the left hand side looks like a document intended to be printed
for me.

Why your Acrobat did not correct the display with the embedded color profiles
is a mystery to me though. Are you sure your whole workflow is color
corrected? Can you get a proof from your printer? A proof would be the only
definitive answer if your colors will look as intended or not (at least as
far as I know).

Jan