[scribus] Scribus-SCIM Indic Language input issues : absolute beginners' talk

narayana sarma samanarayan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 04:12:47 CEST 2009

hi,

We are looking up to scribus to publish books in Telugu (Indic Language 'te')..

It looks like Scribus is not yet fully equiped to take SCIm input.. or
is it?  We are not able to get even one 'proper' letter out.  Is there
something we are missing out completely?

I tried searching various places, but apart from some mention of this
in the bug listings, I could not get much out.  Is there someone out
there who can help?

I am an absolute beginner.. use Ubuntu 9.04.  Presently our language
input requirements are all met with the SCIM-Gedit-Open Office
combine.  Though Open office takes SCIM input with 'some hesitation'
(Crashing once in a while, Creating split letters at almost every
tenth key stroke !:-) ), it is still better than Scribus !! (:-( )
(Gedit provides for good input though. It has been our savior all
these days. Ofcourse it is just a text editor!)

I see that Oo, Scribus etc make use of XIM.. but can't get more out of
them yet.  (We can not afford to lose SCIM because it IS Working OK
with gedit)

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance,

-narayana