[scribus] Off Topic: Looking for select/assemble/theme slide show/presentation solution

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 13:51:26 CEST 2009

Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As my professional life takes a turn towards giving more and more
> presentations, I am looking for a solution on how to deal with slides and
> slide shows/presentations in a flexible and OS way.
>
> I have been building presentations using both scribus and OOimpress on and
> off, in either case utilizing pdf as the presented format.
>
> Both of these solutions (along with M$ counterparts), however are
> presentation centric, meaning slides are handled in an independent manner
> only with difficulty.
>
> What I am looking for is a solution that will
> a) allow me to create non-themed, independent slides (adhering to a given
> formatting rule set)
> b) store and manage these slides in a light box-like (think digikam) manner
> c) makes it easy to combine the slides into a presentation (pdf)
> d) allows me to overlay the non-themed slides in a given presentation with a
> custom slide design (also adhering to the constrains referred to in a)).
>
> Does anybody have any idea on how to tackle this? Th best I can come up with
> is a workflow involving slides as png (transparency), managed with digikam
> and combined/themed/format converted through scripting via imagemagic.

Scribus's job is to create PDFs, of course. It is possible, for example,
to have bookmarks and links in the PDF, which allow for "side trips" if
we might call them that, then back to the original train of the
presentation. Thus, the presentation wouldn't have to have a strictly
linear organization.

Does this help with what you have in mind?

Greg