[scribus] Off Topic: Looking for select/assemble/theme slide show/presentation solution

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Fri Jul 31 14:49:10 CEST 2009

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Johannes Graumann wrote:

>> Dear all,
>>
>> As my professional life takes a turn towards giving more and more
>> presentations, I am looking for a solution on how to deal with slides
>> and slide shows/presentations in a flexible and OS way.
>>
>> I have been building presentations using both scribus and OOimpress on
>> and off, in either case utilizing pdf as the presented format.
>>
>> Both of these solutions (along with M$ counterparts), however are
>> presentation centric, meaning slides are handled in an independent
>> manner only with difficulty.
>>
>> What I am looking for is a solution that will a) allow me to create
>> non-themed, independent slides (adhering to a given formatting rule set)
>> b) store and manage these slides in a light box-like (think digikam)
>> manner
>> c) makes it easy to combine the slides into a presentation (pdf)
>> d) allows me to overlay the non-themed slides in a given presentation
>> with a custom slide design (also adhering to the constrains referred
>> to in a)).
>>
>> Does anybody have any idea on how to tackle this? Th best I can come
>> up with is a workflow involving slides as png (transparency), managed
>> with digikam and combined/themed/format converted through scripting
>> via imagemagic.
> Scribus's job is to create PDFs, of course. It is possible, for example,
> to have bookmarks and links in the PDF, which allow for "side trips" if
> we might call them that, then back to the original train of the
> presentation. Thus, the presentation wouldn't have to have a strictly
> linear organization.
>
> Does this help with what you have in mind?

Maybe it was more a matter of having a library of slides, presumably
sorted somehow, that can easily be previewed and selected to generate
bespoke selections to present ?

Scribus might not be the best vehicle for this, but...  With Scribus,
maybe a bunch of documents containing unthemed material stored as slides
sorted into and within volumes (SLA files), pages of which can be
dragged and dropped or cut and pasted into a new document which has a
presentation specific theme on the master page ?

Once you've got all that, allowing configurable routing in the resulting
PDF might be icing on the cake ?

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor