[scribus] Numerous problems that feel like scribus is screwing my work for me

Alexey help at scribus.info
Thu Aug 5 13:02:19 CEST 2010

Submitted on 08/05/2010
Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]

Submitted values are:

   Name: Alexey
   Email Address: starsabre at gmail.com
   Subject: Numerous problems that feel like scribus is screwing my work for
me
   Message:
Greetings.

I have recently tried Scribus for making a 600-paged a5 book. Using Scribus
1.3.3.14 for a week or more now, i have found certain problems, or bugs, i
dont know, that seem to look like either scribus is bugged or i am doing
something wrong. Those problems persist on two different computers (home,
win7, work, winxp)

1) Scribus crashes at me, crashes alot. Mostly it happens if i change an
image i use in my book. The moment i save, scribus is crashed. But it also
happened once without image change. I dont understand why, because scribus
has "update image button" thats supposed to do exactly this - change image,
then hit that button

2) Scribus does not store coordinates correctly. For exampe, i have a text on
a page resting on 19mm x 11mm and when i save the file and reopen it, it
becomes 19mm x 10.987mm, or 19mm x 11.049mm, or something similar. I once
manually restored everything, it took more than an hour (there is no option
to "bunch" the objects to input one value for all, or at least i dont know it
exists...). Its still back now! I didnt mention when it happened, but its
back, i once again have those "close but not equal" values

3) Scribus does not update styles correctly. For example, i have a text made
in OO writer. I import it and i see its not looking good. I then go and
change a style in OO, save the text, but! the Style is already imported into
scribus it seems, it WONT update it! So i have to manually work on the text
in scribus story editor from now on...

4) I have a master page consisting of background (like old paper) and page
number (- ### -). I wanted to try out different BG's so i made PDF, closed
scribus, changed the images (the same image file just a bit more blended with
white to make it less dark, edited in Gimp) and reopened scribus. Now it uses
new images all right, BUT, the page numbers are broken. For when i reach big
numbers (>100), the third number is sticking into the second, like if there
is a negative distance between letters inputted for that number. I cant type
it here of course, but it looks like -542-, and 2 is stuck into 4 with its
top and bottom left edges. If i open the master page, its fine (the #'s arent
stuck into each other) and if i close master page manager, its fine in the
book too (back to normal). More than that, if i close scribus after opening
it and seeing page numbers stuck into each other, the move back the images
with old BG's, reopen scribus, then it will fix itself!

5) I have a font installed on my pc, Morpheus. in OO, i can make that font
bold (ctrl b). If i import that text into scribus, it complains there is no
Morpheus Bold installed in my system! What is that? If Bold is not an option,
but a separate font, why does OO allows making bold letters?

6) Once i opened my doc in the scribus and some of my pages went corrupt.
They were having image frames in them that were linking to several images,
but 2 of them (first two image frames occurring in the book) changed into
linking to a BG image (never used on the pages themselves, only on the
masterpages).

7) If i ever want to change the layout of the files on the disk, i have to
write down every image's properties on paper and reinput them. Because if i
use "get image" the image properties (dpi, x,y,etc) are getting reset! Even
if i use "find missing image" they are anyway reset! I started making this
project when i had my pictures scattered, some in "pictures" folder, some in
"ss" folder, some in root folder, also i've put scribus file into separate
folder which later didnt make sence (easer to have it in root folder, easier
to navigate from that). That is when i found this problem. TO change my
layout of folders, i had to write down every image's properties to paper,
then reinput them. Good i had little images used, and what if i would be in a
process of making a photoalbum?

I understand maybe i am doing something wrong. But still...

   About your Scribus program:
     Version: 1.3.3.14
     Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
     Build Date:
   Your operating system and CPU:
     Type: Windows
     Version: WinXP
     CPU type: 32bit (Intel/AMD - i386)

The results of this submission may be viewed at:
http://www.scribus.net/?q=node/158/submission/495