[scribus] Opening MS Publisher files

Trevor Jenkins bslwannabe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 12:34:36 CEST 2010

Clearly you're not *au fait *with the banking situation in England for
businesses getting loans from banks. Many of them state-owned now because of
the fall out from the US sub-prime mortgage idiocy they still don't loan to
businesses.

But you miss the point. I don't want to own a machine that runs Windows in
order to compensate for the idiocy of those who do and use Publisher in the
mis-gotten belief that it is a DTP application.

Oh and for the few times a year when I get PUB files I could use even the
small amount of money to be spent of a Windows machine on better things ...
right now contributing to the Pakistan flood appeal.

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi trevor,
>
> > If you'd read back through the thread you'd see that I don't have
> > Publisher. I get occasional PUB files from friends who haven't a clue
> > --- if they did they wouldn't be using Publisher in the first place.
> > Asking them to save their files in another format is like asking for
> > a loan at the bank; they don't understand the need or anyway
> > comprehension of how to do it.
>
> sorry, but if you can't get a loan from the bank it means that you're doing
> something wrong.
> most of the time, banks are more than happy to give you a loan, if they
> have the feeling that your business is solid. that you will make much more
> money out of the money they're giving you.
>
> and if you wonder, why you don't get a loan from your bank, go out to a
> computer shop, buy the cheapest netbook with windows you can find, find a
> way to buy a legit copy of ms publisher (from ebay, your preferred computer
> shop or microsoft's website).
>
> if you can't afford it, it means that you should not do business with
> people handing you publisher files. or your time to set the correct bold and
> italics is not worth 500 bucks.
>
> or try one of the free web services you have been pointed to or support
> prokoudine's eventual effort in reverse engineering the .pub format.
>

> have a nice evening
> a.l.e

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!