[scribus] text

Vladimir Savic vladimir.firefly.savic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 19:24:48 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 12:37 -0400, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2010/8/11 Alex <help at scribus.info>
>
> > Submitted on 08/11/2010
> > Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
> >
> > Submitted values are:
> >
> >  Name: Alex
> >  Email Address: arsov at arsov.net
> >  Subject: text
> >  Message:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm finishing one book with Scribus. ( 370 pages ) Everything is ok so far.
> > ( I had to split the whole book to four pieces coz Scribus crashes if I try
> > to import the whole book.) but I can't find the way how to separate words
> > with coma ( don't know english name for that function.) to fill the gap when
> >  words  are   too    separated    in   one  line. So I'm look-
> > ing for some-
> > thing like that to separate long words. Is there any function for that.
> >

> Hi Alex,
>
> Yes, the function exists. What you describe is called "hyphenation". The
> settings for this are in the Preference dialog. You will find the language
> of hyphenation and other settings. Then, in the top menu bar, you will find
> Extra > Hyphenate Text (there is even a De-Hyphenate menu). This will help
> accomplish a much "quieter" typographic gray. Unless you have set the type
> to a very narrow column width and a very large typesize, you should see a
> clear improvement.
>
> All other questions have been answered by Greg !
>
> Cheers !
>
> Louis

Hi Alex,
There is one more thing you can try along with hyphenating text; make
Word Tracking and Glyph Extension less strict.
Try setting options like this:
Word Tracking:
Min: 96%	Norm: 100%
Glyph Extension:
Min: 95%	Max: 105%

You'll still have to use hypen function, but text page will look even
more readable that way.

This applies to big chunks of text. Not sure if that'll suit your need
since I've just looked at your web page publications (a few pictures
that live on you page at least).

Greetings from Serbia,
Vlada