[scribus] Problem with large exported PDF files

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Fri Aug 20 07:24:11 CEST 2010

> The original input files are, in total, about 500MB.  They are jpegs. There are about 150 of them.  One per page.  There's no text, just 1 photo per page.  In scribus, I set the the resolution of every photo to about 300dpi.   Scribus properties for each image shows Actual X-DPI and Actual Y-DPI of 300 to 330 depending on the photo.

Why not tell Scribus to downsample to 300 DPI in the PDF Export dialog?

If you are setting the DPI in the properties for each image this only
affects scaling.

> I'm exporting to PDF 1.5 (Acrobat 6).  I've tried setting colors for Screen/Web and Printer.  The Printer option makes even larger PDF files (about 2.5GB as compared to 2GB for screen/web).

Printer = CMYK, Screen/Web = RGB. This means for Printer you have four
bytes for each pixel instead of three as with RGB.

Since you have no text in your book I would also check to see whether
some fonts get embedded.

/Peter